Homeschooling Ideas & References:
- Kahn Academy – free online classes.
- Dream box Learning – our school is connected to this and it is great for math exercises. Gemma loves it!
- Summer Bridge Activity Workbooks – I use these every summer for my kids. Wrote a post about them here.
- Books – Stroller In The City have been rounding up favorite books that you can order through Amazon and can be found here for kids and here for adults.
- Scholastic is offering free online courses so your kids can keep learning while schools are closed.
- Epic – Epic! is the Leading Digital Library for Kids 12 & Under. Instantly access 35,000 of the best books, learning videos, quizzes & more. Popular. 5 & Under. Ages 6-8.
- K-5 Math – This website is a math teaching resources is a leading, New York City-based math consultancy firm.
- Ted Talks for your older kids
- Home and Haven Online Homeschool Conference – The Home and Haven Homeschool Community is going to be hosting an ONLINE CONFERENCE for those who are currently homeschooling.
- Stroller In The City wrote a post last week on indoor activities with your kids, from board games to puzzles, we’ve got you covered.
- Blue Balloon School – offers in-home private and small group music lessons for kids and adults.
- Music At The Blissful – is offering live online music classes on Instagram to pass the time in doors.
- Family Yoga – Found these classes you can do online!
- Craft Studio – our beloved arts and craft studio in Tribeca is selling at-home kits for you to craft with your kids.
- Have a spa night! Paint your nails, put on a mask, have a bubble bath. Trying to still have a little fun with the kiddies too!
- Family Bike Ride – I know a quarantine is bound to come, but until then try to get outdoors with bike or scooter ride. Even a walk!
- Weelicious – has a post on ways you can keep your groceries fresher and pantry staples and recipes!
- Today Show has a post on items you should be stocking up on!
- Skinny Taste – is always my go to for quick and easy recipes for the family!
- Bonberi – I love her smoothies and soup recipes! In fact, I make a Bonberi Smoothie every day!
Resetting the Parasympathetic Nervous System – there was never a better time than now, to create a 10 minute peaceful practice of “resetting the nervous system”. Our parasympathetic nervous system ignites a “fight or flight” syndrome, thus creating more anxiety and overwhelm than rational or necessary. Our bodies respond under pressure and false alarm, so this practice can help you stay in the present moment and without panic.
An Alternative – Take control, by sitting down, with a lengthened spine, feet flat on the floor, and Inhale through your nose, Exhale longer, from the mouth. (I.e. Inhale for 4 seconds, but exhale for 8 seconds.) This practice can last 3-11 minutes, but will truly reset the body’s mode to fight or flight response. Best thing you can give your family this week! A total perspective shifter. Tuning into your own breath, is the key to tuning out the stress of our current environment.