If you’ve been following along for a while now, you know that I love to bake for my family. And I love showing tutorials of my favorite recipes that not only my family loves, but ones that will for sure become staples in your household too. Today, I’m excited to bring you another fun recipe that takes me back to one of my favorite childhood snacks, one that I remember having specifically after school. This time, I’ll be putting an “adultified” reduced sugar twist on classic chocolate Devil Dogs using my beloved Truvia Sweet Complete Sweeteners.
For those of you who don’t know what Devil Dogs are, I can tell you this. It’s not a beast from the netherworld. No. It’s a delicious snack made with a delicious cream filling sandwiched between two mini cakes. Growing up, I would have lived off of them if I could have. And now that I’m a mom, I love to make my own homemade version for my family. It’s a great way to serve them something made with love and take a nostalgic trip back in time for me.
While this original recipe calls for traditional sugar, I started using Truvia Sweet Complete Sweeteners years ago, and I’ve never looked back. The great thing about Truvia is that it keeps the flavors of all of my favorite foods intact. It replaces traditional sugar in recipes while delivering all the great sweetness. It also measures cup-for-cup just like sugar, so I don’t have to do any equations.
For this recipe, I’m using Truvia Sweet Complete Brown Sweetener to make the mini cakes and Truvia Sweet Complete Confectioners Sweetener to make the delicious, creamy filling. It’s a super easy way to make my childhood favorite without a ton of extra sugar because I can measure it cup-for-cup like traditional sugar in recipes.
I hope you’ll try my spin on Devil Dogs now that you’ve seen the recipe. They are absolutely delicious, and because they’re made with Truvia Sweet Complete Sweeteners, they’re a great way to enjoy all that sweetness with reduced amounts of sugar! This is my go-to alternative for sugar, and I think if you give it a try, it’ll be your go-to, as well.
Devil Dogs Adultified
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup Truvia Sweet Complete Brown
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Truvia Sweet Complete Confectioners Sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer, combine Truvia Sweet Complete Brown Sweetener, buttermilk, coconut oil, egg and vanilla extract, until well blended.
- Add flour mixture and mix until just combined, then pour in hot water and mix until just combined.
- Scoop batter out using a medium cookie scoop or 1 1/2 Tbsp at a time, and drop into cookie molds.
- Bake for about 8 – 10 minutes.
- While the cookies are baking, mix the cold heavy whipping cream, Truvia Sweet Complete Confectioners Sweetener and vanilla extract in a separate bowl to make the cookie filling.
- Let cool for about 20 minutes then use a spatula to scoop and spread the filling onto the cookies. Assemble and enjoy!