Summer eats are some of the best eats ever. Fresh delicious berries, gorgeous produce, yummy seafood, summer bbq’s, etc… Summer has always inspired me in the kitchen. And while I love cuisine form all around the world and love trying new things, theres something about Italian flavors that feel like home. Growing up in an german Italian family my mom often made the traditional Italian American dishes so many of us know and love. Eggplant parmesan aka parmigiana di melanzane is my absolutely favorite Italian dish. Though traditionally served as an appetizer, I often enjoy it as my main meal. But eggplant parmersan is a process and I rarely have time to prepare it on a week night. But not all recipes and meals have to be difficult to be delicious. I cook 5 to 6 times a week and while I do experiment with new flavors and recipes, most of the meals I make are super easy and available at local grocery stores. As a busy mom of three also running a business the food I make has to be easy to whip up!
Summer also comes with the added layer of hosting our friends and family often. Does anyone else have family game nights? While we love sharing our beach house with our loved ones it means more food and more cooking. This is where delicious appetizers come into play. This great appetizer is gorgeous and easy to make, which is key to keeping everyone fed and full. These Caprese Crostinis are the best thing and our family has them on rotation all summer long. You can even swap out fresh mozzarella cheese for burrata cheese, which would also be a great idea! Its also the perfect use of local seasonal produce. When I say these don’t last long, I truly mean they don’t last long because everyone devours them as soon as they can. They’re that delicious! I hope this easy summer appetizer recipe can bring joy to all your families and make things a little easier in the kitchen for you!
Capresé Crostini Ingredients
- French bread or Italian loaf bread
- Cherry Tomatoes (or tomato of choice)
- Fresh Mozzarella (No sheddred)
- Fresh Basil Leaf
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt &Pepper
Capresé Crostini Instructions & Assembly
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees, and then line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Slice loaf of bread into small thin crostini toast like slices.
- Add bread slices to cookie sheet while then layering bread with thin slice of mozzarella cheese from a mozzarella ball and a piece of prosciutto.
- Bake crostini’s for 8-10 minutes. You should visually see that the slices of fresh mozzarella cheese has melted.
- While crostini’s are baking, chop your basil leaves and slice your fresh tomatoes.
- Once your crostini’s are out of the oven, add sliced tomatoes .
- Drizzle a bit of balsamic vinegar for taste on each slice of bread. Try to avoid pouring too much to avoid soggy bread.
- Garnish with chopped basil. Add a little salt and black pepper to taste.
E Basta! Buon Appetito!
This post was originally published August 15th, 2022*
For more recipes, visit here!