This year, not only have I been cooking more, but I’ve also been taking on more complex recipes with my discoveries. I cook almost all meals for our family of five and I’m feeling a bit burnt out and uninspired in the kitchen. I’m now incorporating exciting but EASY recipes as we finish out this school year. These No Bake Cereal Bars are the perfect addition to breakfast or a midday easy snack without all the fuss in the kitchen, plus the kids can totally help out on this one. And they taste delicious! So if you’re looking for a sweet treat that is not only an easy recipe, but the perfect snack for the whole family, keep reading for this cereal bar recipe!
While the recipe is fairly simple ingredients, you can totally add whatever you’d like to it! Some people like peanut butter chips, honey nut cheerios instead of whole grains or even pumpkin seeds and hemp seeds! If you need to swap out the peanut butter due to a peanut allergy for sunflower seed butter as a nut-free option, it totally works and creates a great recipe still. Homemade granola bars are a healthy snack that you need no self control over. That’s the best part, is that you can eat as much as you want! They are picky eater proof, too! These work as a breakfast option or after school snack. Anything that has no corn syrup, added sugar or bad additives is a win in my book!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 ½ cups puffed rice cereal
- 1 ½ cups whole grain O’s cereal
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup natural peanut butter
- Big pinch of coarse sea salt (optional)
- Line a 9” square pan with 2 pieces of parchment paper (one going in each way)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine puffed rice and whole grain O’s. Toss to combine.
- In a small pot over medium heat, combine honey and peanut butter. Stir continuously until mixture is smooth
- Pour honey/peanut butter over the mixed cereal. Stir. Make sure that all cereal is coated evenly. It will be very sticky.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan, using a wet rubber spatula to spread it out into an even layer. Lightly wet your hands and press down on the mixture to even it out. Use the wet rubber spatula to press the mixture firmly into the pan. Pay particular attention to the edges and corners.
- Place the pan in the freezer for about 20 minutes or until firm
- Lift the bars from the pan, using the parchment paper and place them on a cutting board. With a sharp knife or pizza cutter, slice the bars into your desired size and shape.
- Wrap the bars individually in plastic wrap. Store in an airtight container or baggie in the freezer for up to a month
I hope your little sous chefs can help you make these delicious healthy no bake bars and I hope the easy process allows more time for spring and summertime fun outside the kitchen!
This post was originally published July 30th, 2020*
For more recipe posts, visit here!