I don’t know about you, but I can certainly feel that fall is in the air! You know what I’m talking about, that crisp cool breeze when you wake up in the mornings is now staying around for good! You need that sweatshirt during your morning or sunset walks. I just get such excitement about the changing of the seasons, which means changing out that summer wardrobe for chunky knits, and definitely changing up my kitchen menus! Soups and chili’s are always in constant rotation around here, especially during these cooler months!
College Inn broths are always a must and base for my soups or chilis, and I just discovered their Simple Starter Sauces which are great for hearty soups with big flavors.
Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili
2 cans (15 oz. each) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 carton (24 oz.) College Inn® Mexican-Style Simple Starter® Sauce
1 can (15.25 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
2 cups (8 oz.) peeled, chopped sweet potato (3/4-inch pieces)
3 Tbsp. tomato paste
2 cups (8 oz.) sliced zucchini, cut lengthwise in half or quarters, (1/8-inch thick)
1 cup brown rice
1 pound turkey meat
Juice of 1 lime
Toppings: Avocado, cilantro, green onion, tortilla chips, pickled jalapeño, pepitas, lime
- In a large pot, cook turkey meat until fully cooked.
- Next add black beans into the pot and mash up.
- Stir in College Inn sauce, rice, corn, diced tomatoes (not drained), sweet potato and tomato paste.
- Bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high and simmer, covered, 30 minutes until sweet potato and rice are tender and cooked.
- Stir in zucchini. Simmer another 10 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is tender. Stir in lime juice and serve with toppings like avocado, cheese, sour cream. Enjoy!
I’ll be cooking up this recipe all fall season, the leftovers are great for school lunchboxes and thermos! And feel free to omit the turkey meat, if you wanted to make this a vegan dish!