In previous years, we’ve had a big Friendsgiving get-together. It’s a big gathering filled with good friends, good food, and good times. This year, we’re skipping the gathering and doing a pie exchange instead. It’s a great way to keep the spirit of the season alive, even when we can’t be together in our usual way. My contribution for this year’s reimagined Friendsgiving is going to be a delectable Spiced Bourbon Apple Pie with crumble topping.
This pie is warm, full of flavor, and of course, bourbon apples that give classic apple pie a run for its money. With a homemade crust and crumb topping, I think it’s going to be the pie to beat this Friendsgiving. And since it will be made with Truvia® sweeteners, I think it’s going to be even better.
Although I love sweet treats during the holidays, I still like to keep things as low-calorie as possible. That’s why I’ve decided to make this delicious apple pie using my favorite sweetener, Truvia® Sweet Complete™ All-Purpose Sweetener. By using this sugar alternative, I’ll be able to create a delicious pie full of all the sweetness we love but with fewer calories. I don’t know about you, but that sounds great to me.
What I love about Truvia Sweet Complete™ is that I don’t have to do any special measuring or crazy math formulas to use it. It’s a cup-for-cup sugar replacement, which means it’s easy to use in recipes. I like easy, especially around this time of year. It also bakes and browns in recipes, which is super important for this recipe and so many holiday classics. I also love that it is made with stevia leaf extract and that it is zero calories per serving.
I can’t wait to share my Spiced Bourbon Apple Pie with the few friends that are in my bubble! No matter what your holiday celebrations look like this year, definitely give Truvia® Sweet Complete™ a try. You can use it in baked goods, but it’s also perfect for beverages, yogurt, savory glazes, and more. Since you don’t have to worry about conversions, you can use it anywhere you’d normally use sugar, which makes it a super easy way to satisfy your holiday sweet tooth without extra calories.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 fluid ounces cold milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup packed Truvia® Sweet Complete™ All-Purpose Sweetener
- 1⁄4 cup packed Truvia® Brown Sugar Blend
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1-3 tsp water
- 8 small granny smith apples, washed and peeled
- ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 ½ Tbsp Truvia® Sweet Complete™ All-Purpose Sweetener
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Make pie crust. If you are short on time, buying a pre-made one will work perfectly.
- Combine all topping ingredients for crumble, except water, using a fork until crumbly. Mixture should resemble a coarse crumb with some small pea-sized pieces remaining.
- If the mixture doesn’t form pea-sized pieces, add cold water 1 tsp at a time, while mixing, until pea-sized crumb forms. (Careful not to add too much water and form dough.)
- Set-aside topping for later use.
- Peel, core, and slice apples into thin slices.
- Toss apple slices with Truvia® Sweet Complete™ All-Purpose Sweetener, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and flour.
- Pour filling into un-baked pie shell (filling will be very high).
- Place pie pan on a cookie sheet, it will drip over.
- Top filling with topping and pat it down over the apples.
- Bake at 450° F for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 325° F and bake an additional 40-50 minutes. Test by poking the center of the pie to make sure the apples are soft all of the way through.
- Serve warm or room temperature. ENJOY!