A home getaway is probably what everyone needs right now. We’ve been cooped up in our homes for so long that we’re itching to get out and do anything. However, for a lot of us, staying home is still probably the best course of action. That doesn’t mean we can’t make the most of it, though! We can create an at-home getaway that lets us have some fun and still socially distance. For us, our getaway this summer will be spent in my mom’s backyard. I basically told her we’re moving in for the summer.
For people with backyards, a barbecue is the first thing that comes to mind. For families like mine, a nice day of grilling and swimming in the pool feels almost like a vacation. The kids have a swing set and fun sprinklers to run through as well. I cannot tell you how thankful I am that we get to retreat to this on the weekends as opposed to being in our small apartment.
Whatever you choose to do, make delicious food a part of it! Since we usually grill all summer long, I like to find recipes to grill that don’t always involve hamburgers and hot dogs.
As you all know, I’m a big fan of Truvia®. In fact, I’ve written about their products a few times over the past year. I always focus on the sweet stuff, though. That makes sense, of course because Truvia® is a convenient sugar substitute. But what may be surprising for some, you can actually use it in a lot of savory dishes as well.
Truvia® is a natural zero-calorie sweetener that comes from the Stevia plant. From coffee to desserts to barbecue sauce and beyond, it is the perfect sugar substitute. This past weekend, I made Mango Cilantro Chicken, and let me just tell you this will be the recipe of the summer. The marinade is so delicious; you could even use it on grilled shrimp too!
I used Truvia® Natural Sweetener from the Spoonable jar to make the marinade. It’s an easy way to cut out extra calories, making it a win/win for summer grilling!
Mango Cilantro Chicken Recipe
- 2 mangoes, peeled, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (chopped stems and all)
- 3⁄4 cup zero-calorie Truvia® Natural Sweetener
- 1 Tbsp your favorite hot sauce
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 red onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp ginger, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 fresh lime, juice and zest
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz. water
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Non-stick cooking spray
1. Put the mangoes, cilantro, Truvia® Natural Sweetener, hot sauce, vinegar, coconut milk, onion, ginger, garlic, lime juice and oil in a food processor and puree until smooth, add water if too thick. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. You should have about one quart of marinade-split in half.
2. Add the chicken with half the mango mixture to a plastic bag, and rub to coat the chicken with the mango puree. Refrigerate at least 6 to 8 hours to marinate.
3. Put the other half of the mango mixture into a small saucepan with the water and simmer over low heat until thick, up to 20 minutes. Store sauce refrigerated and reheat before serving.
4. Preheat a grill to medium high heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray so chicken won’t stick to the grill. Season chicken with salt and pepper and place on grill. Cook slowly to avoid burning. Turn heat down to medium and cook for about 20 minutes basting the chicken with marinade. For the last 10 minutes of cooking only use the stovetop sauce as a marinade.
5. Make sure chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165° F. ENJOY!
Truvia® is an easy way to satisfy your sweet tooth but makes the perfect sugar substitute in just about any dish. Now I can’t wait to try it out with shrimp for our next BBQ!
(This article was originally published July 2020)