It was Gemma’s birthday last week, and while we can’t have a party with friends and family, we can still bake up some delicious treats to enjoy together as a family. These days especially I want to keep the sugar intake to manageable levels, so in comes Truvia®, which helps me bake up delicious treats with fewer calories and less sugar. I’m all about a healthier lifestyle without sacrificing all the tasty treats that make life (and birthdays) so much fun!
We all need to remember when it comes to leading a healthy lifestyle, there is no one way to do it. Whether you go for a morning walk, lift weights, go vegan or keto – it doesn’t matter as long as you put the steps in place to make the effort. That said, I think it’s important that you set some realistic parameters, so you are not miserable with your food choices. If everything on your menu is bland and lacking flavor, you will lose the motivation to continue that healthy eating habit. That’s why I love baking with Truvia®.
For Gemma’s Super Tasty Birthday Cupcakes (my super made up name!), I’m using two brand new products – Truvia® Sweet Complete™ for the cake portion, and Truvia® Confectioners for the frosting. Both sweeten and measure like traditional sugar and confectioners’ sugar in recipes, so they are ideal for all your baking needs.
Truvia® Sweet Complete is a granulated calorie-free stevia sweetener that bakes and browns in recipes and sweetens and measures like sugar. It’s a blend of stevia, chicory root fiber, and erythritol, making it easy to bake with because it measures exactly the same as sugar. Oh, and it’s non-GMO, which I love.
Truvia® Confectioners is the star of the cupcake frosting! The zero-calorie powdered sweetener measures and sweetens like traditional confectioners sugar in recipes. So we’ll be whipping up some tasty frosting and making it the birthday girl’s favorite color pink, of course. Super fun!
Gemma and I had such a blast whipping up this batch of delicious birthday cupcakes; I’m going to add this one in as our Home EC class for the day. To sing happy birthday, we’ll have to FaceTime with extended family and friends this year, so they won’t have the opportunity to enjoy these tasty treats. That said, if I share my recipe, I have a feeling it will be easy convince them to make some of their own. And with Truvia®, we’ll all get to enjoy them with less calories and sugar. That’s pretty sweet!
Vanilla Cake Recipe:
- •1 cup Truvia® Sweet Complete
- •3 cups flour
- •2 Tbsp baking powder
- •1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- •1⁄2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- •1⁄2 cup canola oil
- •3 eggs
- •11⁄2 cup skim milk
- •2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Line cupcake tray with cupcake cups.
2. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and mix.
3. Add butter and oil and mix on medium speed for 1–2 minutes.
4. Blend eggs, milk and vanilla in a small bowl. Add 1⁄2 of egg mixture to flour mixture. Mix for 30 seconds at low speed and 1 minute at medium speed. Scrape bowl and repeat with rest of egg mixture until well blended.
5. Bake for 20–25 minutes.
6. Cool for at least 30 minutes before removing from pan.
7. Add frosting or topping if desired.
- •1 1/2 cups Truvia® Confectioners
- •6 oz fat free cream cheese, softened
- •1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- •1 tsp vanilla extract
- •Food coloring to make desired color
1. Place softened butter and cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl. Mix until smooth.
2. Add vanilla extract.
3. Gradually mix in Truvia® Confectioners.
4. Once all ingredients are well combined, mix on high until the frosting is light and fluffy.
5. Add in food coloring of choice and frost your cupcakes!