TOP 5 Spots to Brunch (and have fun) with the Kids in NYC
I don’t know about you, but with two kids under 5, I still need to think about entertaining them when eating out. Yes, crayons, wikki sticks and stickers are always good in a pinch, but I love a restaurant that has good food and entertainment (unique entertainment) built in.Here are some of our favorite brunch places around the City that are worth visiting, for both their yummy food and their unique offerings for the Minis.
1. Blue Smoke (www.bluesmoke.com) – Tots love digging into the ribs at this Murray Hill “Urban Barbeque” joint. The server brings your child a cookie to decorate, which is baked during your meal – and presented in a “to go” bag with the check. Most weekends it is difficult to find a table without kids – must be the varied children’s menu that includes dessert (the cookie is a bonus!) and uber-friendly staff. On Sundays, the downstairs Jazz Standard lounge features Jazz for Kids from 1pm on – an amazing treat as the musicians are kids themselves. It’s loud but a great way to introduce your minis to the jazz classics.
2. Cercle Rouge (www.cerclerougeresto.com) – A typical French bistro during the week – but on the weekend’s this adorable restaurant features a very entertaining magician at brunch! They have the kids menu standards (french fries, chicken fingers, grilled cheese, etc.) but tots of all ages are enthralled by the tableside magic tricks and balloon creations – a great diversion so adults can actually enjoy what they eat (how novel!)!
3. Ideya (www.ideya.net) – A hip, Latin Bistro in the heart of SoHo. Once a month, Ideya serves up a “SalsaBaby Brunch”. With live music from Jose Condo and Band, kids are ENCOURAGED to get up and dance (i.e. run around) and make noise. The kids menu is a fun diversion from the same old, same old, (not to worry there are some of the old standards), and kids just adore rocking with tambourines and maracas to the Salsa beats (and adults love the mojitos!). Seating starts at 10am.
4. Moomah (www.Moomah.com) – Moomah is a great spot to bring your tot in TriBeCa. Not only is the extensive menu local, seasonal AND organic (with dairy-free and gluten-free choices) but kids are encouraged to play while they eat with incredibly beautiful and engrossing art projects! What’s more, if you visit on a Friday or Saturday (NOTE THE RESTAURANT IS CLOSED ON SUNDAYS FOR PARTIES), the back room, usually reserved for private classes, is transformed into a “funky forest” for children to explore and use their imaginations.
5. Picnic Market (www.picnicmarket.com) – What is it about the Beatles’ music that kids love? And what’s better for mommies and daddies then a French café with a live Beatles brunch? Every Sunday, kids are welcomed at this UWS spot from 2-5pm (great time after the nap) to dance to live music from Beatles Cover Band Glass Onion. There is a very reasonable kids menu – OH and $5 mimosas for parents!
Visit www.MiniMunchers.com for the complete children’s menus of over 240 great restaurants in NYC! MiniMunchers also offers great weekly discounts on children’s products and classes in our “Goodie Bag” as well as advice from experts on making your eating experiences with kids enjoyable – from celebrities to restaurateurs to Moms-in- the-know!